The SAIF combines state-of-the-art instrumentation and a nationally recognized staff to assist investigators with a wide range of imaging based experimental approaches. The SAIF currently provides a comprehensive suite of imaging modalities including:
• Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopy (MRS)
• Optical imaging (including bioluminescence, fluorescence, and near-infrared imaging)
• Computed tomography (CT)
• Positron emission tomography (PET)
• Single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT)
• Ultrasound (US)
In addition, dedicated housing is available for mice and rats undergoing longitudinal imaging studies. Ancillary facilities and resources of the SAIF are devoted to chemistry, radiochemistry, image analysis and animal tumor models, including assistance with animal handling.
"Advanced Bioluminescence and Fluorescence Imaging System (Perkin Elmer) with CCD Camera, Imaging chamber, Anesthesia Unit and Induction Chamber, Excitation Light Source, Emission Filters, 3D imaging capability and Computer Control System"
"To prevent the spread of disease among the general animal population, SAIF provides its own animal housing. Any animal, once scanned in any SAIF facility, may not be taken back to its original housing facility without going through quarantine.
Animals are expected to be housed in SAIF only for longitudinal studies."
"The Optical/Bioluminescence Sub-Core of the SAIF provides the capability to perform cellular and molecular non-invasive in-vivo bioluminescence, fluorescence or near-infrared imaging. The instrumentation allows sensitive, non-invasive molecular imaging for a variety of applications including detection and quantification of various bioluminescent or fluorescent reporter-expressing cells or tissues (in culture or in small animals).
IVIS Lumina II
• In-vitro Imaging: cultured cell imaging, tissue/organ imaging
• Bioluminescence imaging
• Fluorescence imaging: GFP, DsRed, Cy5.5, ICG
LI-COR Pearl Impulse
• In vitro and in vivo fluorescence imaging
• 700 nm, 800 nm channels - IRDye® 680, IRDye® 700DX, IRDye® 800RS, IRDye® 800CW, Alexa Fluor® 680, Alexa Fluor® 750, Cy5.5, Cy7
• Simultaneous detection of 700 nm and 800 nm channels"
"The Small Animal Imaging Facility has Radiology Research Technicians who can provide all necessary study support, including anesthetic induction, maintenance, monitoring and postoperative care for all animals involved in a study. These technicians are Certified Veterinary Technicians and AALAS Registered Laboratory Animal Technologists. They are trained and skilled in Laboratory Animal Anesthesia and Surgical Support."