To offer expertise and services for determining the metabolic and endocrine phenotpyes of mice with diabetes, obesity and related disorders.
To create a database of physiologic, endocrine and metabolic measurements in mice.
Anokye-Danso, Frederick, PhD
Role: Technical Director, Mouse Phenotyping, Physiology and Metabolism Core
Yin, Xiao Y., M.D.
Role: Research Specialist C; Mouse Phenotyping, Physiology and Metabolism Core
"Recording an animal’s body temperature accurately has never been easier. With the IPTT-300, researchers can collect both identification and temperature data with one transponder."
For use at room temperature.
CLAMS is available for use at room, thermoneutral or cold temperatures. Feeding, energy expenditure, and locomotor activity (Optovarimax System) are monitored.
SubCue Dataloggers have a biocompatible surface which allows implantation for monitoring temperature. Dataloggers have a memory capacity of over 2000 temperature measurements.
The tail cuff method is used to measure blood pressure and heart rate.
Body composition is analyzed using dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Grip strength testing is also available.
Brown adipose tissue temperature is measured using an implantable programmable temperature transponder.
Testing includes cold tolerance test, room temperature vs. 4ºC, core temperature and BAT temperature measurements. Thermographic imaging is also available.
Acute and chronic metabolic monitoring utilizes a Comprehensive Laboratory Animal Monitoring System (CLAMS).
• Energy expenditure and activity monitoring
• 24 hr. energy expenditure, feeding, drinking, activity monitoring and sleep epochs
• Treadmill exercise and energy expenditure
Coordination assays are carried out by infrared locomotor activity monitoring and include include:
• beam balance
Researchers have access to a broad range of metabolic tests.
• Intraperitoneal glucose, insulin and pyruvate tolerance tests
• Insulin clamp and tracer studies
• Hyperglycemic clamp and insulin secretion
• Serum insulin ELISA
• in vivo insulin signaling (Bolus IV insulin injection and tissue harvesting)
Lipid metabolism assays include:
• in vivo fatty acid oxidation (3H-oleic acid)
• in vivo triglyceride production rate
• Intracerebroventricular cannulation
• Jugular vein catheterizaion
• Euthanasia and terminal blood collection